Mental Health Aspects of Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities
Professional Development Series
The National Center for START Services’ Mental Health Aspects of Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities (IDD-MH) Professional Development Series is designed to build expertise in professionals through evidence-based instruction and best practices. These courses are targeted to specific roles within human service delivery to enhance the ability to provide effective services for people with IDD and mental health needs.
Target audience for current virtual course offerings: Mobile Crisis Responders, Care Coordinators/Managers, and Direct Support Professionals.
The MHIDD Professional Development Series course instruction is provided by experts in the field from both professional and lived experience perspectives. Methods include adult learning and core START principles including:
- Strengths-based practices
- Positive psychology
- Cultural competence
- Person and family centered
As an evidence-based model, START utilizes the data and feedback from participant evaluations to continuously improve the format, content, and delivery of the courses to best meet learners' needs.
All MHIDD courses have the following shared attributes:
- Six (6) live sessions facilitated via Zoom;
- Each session is 105 minutes: 75 minutes of instruction followed by 30 minutes of facilitated interactive dialogue
- Facilitated by expert CSS staff with decades of experience in IDD-MH; the perspective of persons with lived experience/family members is represented through guest speakers & co-facilitators
- Sessions are recorded and are accessible to course participants following each session.
- Offered twice a year (Fall & Spring cohorts)
- Additional materials targeted toward improved application of practices provided include: worksheets, articles, and other resources.
- Courses involve pre and post surveys as well as session evaluations.
- UNH CEUs offered
- Certificate of Completion in IDD-MH Training for [Mobile Crisis Responders/Care Coordinators/Direct Support Professionals]