Diversity & Inclusion Resources
Resources from the Georgetown University National Center for Cultural Competence
Disparities in Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Services and Supports | En Español - The purpose of the Disparities Resource Guide Series is to assist Development Disabilities Councils (DD Councils), University Centers for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (UCEDDs), and Protection and Advocacy Programs (P&As) to: 1) Address disparities experienced by identified populations of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families; and 2) Implement changes in policy and practice to mitigate and reduce such disparities.
Conscious & Unconscious Biases in Health Care - This course focuses on conscious and unconscious biases in health care and their impact on people who are disproportionately affected by disparities in health and health care
The Cultural and Linguistic Competence Assessment for Disability Organizations (CLCADO) - The CLCADO is intended to support organizations to (1) plan for and incorporate culturally and linguistically competent values, policies, structures, and practices in all aspects of their work; (2) enhance the quality of services, supports, and advocacy provided to diverse and underserved communities; (3) effect change in education, training, technical assistance, research, and public policy; and (4) advance cultural and linguistic competence as an essential approach to address racial and ethnic disparities and promote equity for people who experience disabilities and their families.
IDD and Racial Disparities
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) - Peer-reviewed articles on IDD and Race and Ethnicity
- Journal Committed to Social Change on Race and Ethnicity (JCSCORE) - Vol 6 No 1 (2020) Special Issue: Disability Justice, Race, and Education
- Nisonger Center, Ohio State University - Race and Health Disparities in Adults with IDD and National Core Indicators (NASDDDS & HSRI) Exploring Health Disparities Among People with IDD: What are the Issues and Do Race and Ethnicity Play a Role?
- AUCD, RRTCDD, UIC Department of Disability and Human Development - Study Brief: Racial and Ethnic Disparities among Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, presentation slides Racial and Ethnic Disparities among Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities and their Family Caregivers
- Brookings Report: Race, poverty, and interpreting overrepresentation in special education (September 20, 2017)
Disabilty, Race, Gender and Research
- Othering and Belonging Institute, University of California, Berkeley - Karen Nakamura on Disability Studies and Race