2020-2021 National Online Training Series: Skills System: Strategies for Self- and Co-Regulation
Presentation Title: Skills System: Strategies for Self- and Co-Regulation
Presenter: Julie F. Brown, PhD
Description: This presentation will provide participants with an overview of the Skills System model using a START case example. We will begin by gaining a better understanding of emotion regulation (and dysregulation) processes. Next, there will be a review of the nine core skills and three System Tools model. Following this, Dr. Brown will discuss co-regulation, the role of skills coaches, and how team may implement the Skills System. The presentation will end with information about how one can learn the Skills System model. Dr. Brown will join CSS for a live Zoom Q&A session on October 16, 2020 from 1:15-2:15pm ET.
- Participants will be able to list three results of emotion regulation skill deficits.
- Participants will be able to describe five adaptive emotion regulation skill concepts.
- Participants will have the ability to access Skills system resources that they can use to learn and teach the Skills System.
Julie F. Brown, PhD, is the author of the Emotion Regulation Skills System for the Cognitively Challenged Client: A DBT™-Informed Approach (2016). Julie is currently the President of the Skills System, LLC. She is an independently licensed social worker and has provided individual and group therapy for individuals with complex learning and behavioral health issues for over 28 years. Additionally, Julie has been a DBT trainer with Behavioral Tech, LLC (Linehan Institute) since 2006, specializing in improving the accessibility of DBT for individuals with cognitive impairments/behavioral health issues. She has published numerous articles and book chapters addressing issues related to intellectual disabilities. Julie currently provides Skills System training and consultation for practitioners/agencies in the US and abroad; the Skills System curriculum materials are being translated into five languages.
- Skills System website: https://skillssystem.com/
- Skills System E-Learning: https://skillssystem.com/e-learning/
- Emotion Regulation Skills System text (2016): https://www.guilford.com/books/The-Emotion-Regulation-Skills-System-Cognitively-Challenged-Clients/Julie-Brown/9781462519286
- Skills System Pilot data: https://skillssystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Brown_et_al_Treating_Individuals_with_Intellectual_Disabilities.pdf
- Using Skills System in DBT: https://skillssystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Improving-Access-to-DBT-for-Individuals-with-Cognitive-Challenges-Oxford-Press-November-2017.pdf